The Family: Foundations are Shakingby Rev. Barry Gritters
What follows is part of a series of leaflets published by the Hudsonville MI Protestant Reformed Church and written by the Rev. Barry Gritters. For a set of the complete series, write:Hudsonville Protestant Reformed Church
5101 Beechtree Ave.
Hudsonville, MI 49426
The pillars of our society are crumbling; and if radical changes are not made, our society will fall. The pillars of the church are crumbling. Although the Church of Christ will not be destroyed, churches and denominations will fall. The pillars are families-the church as well as the country depends on families. As the families are strong--praying, worshipping, holy, families--the church is a strong, God-honoring, God-blessed church.
Families are in danger. God's truth of marriage and the family is under relentless attack by the devil and the wicked world. Witness: The need for sexual purity is denied except to avoid the dreaded sexually transmitted diseases. Men and women live together outside the marriage bond (not long ago, San Francisco's city council approved registering live-in lovers, giving them all the privileges of married couples). Condoms are sold on college campuses and the "do-gooders" that give them away are today's heroes. Quick and easy divorce, along with easy remarriage afterwards, is common. The homosexual lifestyle is accepted, condoned, and encouraged, even by many churches. And, families are not together anymore.
(If there is one instrument that the devil in using with a success rate second to none, it is the weapon of television. By what is shown and by how much time is taken away from family fellowship and reading, the devil uses the television to destroy families. Because we love families, we show our colors early and say that we believe the misuse [which is often the only use] of the television and VCR is to blame for a multitude of family troubles.)
As a Reformed church, it is our hope that God will use these brief summaries of sermons to encourage God's people to pray--pray that God will maintain good family life for the preservation of His church and the glory of His name.
Table of Contents:
- Marriage: God's Good Creation (Genesis 2:18-21)
- Marriage: A Beautiful Reflection (Ephesians 5:22-31)
- The Single Life: Good! (I Corinthians 7)
- Sexual Purity, For Christ's Sake (Proverbs 5:3ff; I Corinthians 6:9ff)
- Husbands, Love Your Wives (Ephesians 5: 23, 25-28)
- Wives, Be Subject To Your Husbands (Ephesians 5:22-24, 33b)
- Sex in Marriage (Proverbs 5:15-19;I Corinthians 7:2-5)
- Children: Heritage of the Lord (Psalm 127:3-5)
- Parental Love (Hebrews 12:6-11)
- Honor Required of Children (Eph. 6:1-3; Deut. 21:18ff)
- God's Will Concerning Divorce (Matt. 5:31-32;19:3-8)
- God's Will Concerning Remarriage (I Cor. 7; Matthew 19:9ff)
- Family Worship